Three brothers, all illegal immigrants, accused of serious crimes Updated: Monday, 20 Feb 2012, 7:06 PM EST Published : Monday, 20 Feb 2012, 7:06 PM EST
Secure Community is Needed Now!
MILFORD (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – Three brothers, all illegal immigrants from Ecuador, are now all accused of serious crimes.
David Segundo Dutan-Guaman who is the latest brother to be accused reportedly stabbed a 21-year-old man in the arm with a kitchen knife during an argument at a house party. The incident occurred early Saturday morning at Dutan-Guaman’s home on Water Street.
The victim hurt so badly, he left this trail of blood stretching for a block; however, Chief Thomas O’Laughlin of the Milford Police told FOX 25, that although it was a “pretty severe cutting” the victim is expected to survive.
If the Dutan-Guaman name sounds familiar, it is because David’s brother Nicolas Dutan-Guaman, is accused of hitting and killing 23-year old Matthew Denice in Milford last August.
A third brother, Pablo, is accused of letting Nicolas drive his truck even through he did not have a license.
Wendy Murphy, the lawyer for the Denice family, said “what’s frustrating for them is here’s yet another case from the same family involving circumstances somewhat similar to those that led to Matthew’s death.”
Denice’s high-profile death shed light on Gov. Deval Patrick’s refusal to sign onto the Secure Communties Program which is the federal government’s fingerprint sharing program meant to identify and deport criminal illegal immigrants.
Authorities say knowledge of David Dutan-Guaman prior arrests would not have made a difference in this case unless Secure Communities had been in place previous to his arrest allowing immigration authorities to learn about him.
The Denice family’s attorney believes the governor should have signed on when he had the chance.
“It’s hard to imagine that a politician would be opposed because all it is is a kind of one stop shopping for law enforcement officials that want to know as much as they can about the people they’re pulling over, the people they’re arresting,” said Murphy.
A spokeswoman for Gov. Patrick told FOX 25 that they would not be speaking about it because it is a local and federal law enforcement issue.
Even though the governor has refused to sign onto Secure Communities, it is still coming. The federal government is planning to roll out the program nationwide, including right here in Massachusetts, by the end of 2013.
As for David Dutan-Guaman, he is being held on $5,000 bail.
A law enforcement official with knowledge of the case says ICE has lodged a detainer against Dutan-Guaman which means if he is released, ICE would move in and take custody.